Thursday, January 31, 2013

One Hour Gifts

My mom surprised me, my 4 year old daughter, my sister-in-law and my 2 year old niece with a Walt Disney World trip in June 2012. We drove from Kentucky to Florida, so I decided to give one hour gifts to the girls while we were in the car. I had 10 gifts to give my 4 year old daughter and 2 year old niece. I set the timer on my phone as soon as we got into the car and when it rang (I chose the clock chime since it resembled Cinderella's castle). Here are the gifts:


Hour 1: Disney Color Wonder paper and markers
(Wal-Mart-$5.00 each and markers were $.20 clearance at Kmart)




Hour 2: Disney Princess stickers (Wal-Mart-$5.00)


Hour 3: Pizza pan with Disney chipboard magnets
(Pizza pans-Dollar Tree and Disney chipboards-Michael's
*add magnet tape to the back)



Hour 4: Disney coloring book and crayons
(Coloring books-Dollar Tree)



Hour 5: Pipe cleaner
(It doesn't seem like it would be very interesting, 
but it kept the girls entertained more than any other one hour gift!)



Hour  6: Glow bracelets (save this for when it gets dark in the car)


Hour 7: Disney chalkboard
(Dollar Tree)




Hour 8: Wooly Willy Funny Face magnet drawing
(Dollar General-$1.00)



Hour 9: Cinderella Vinyl Window Clings
(Wal-Mart-$1.00)


Hour 10: Disney princess rings and ringpops
(Rings-Dollar General for $1.75 and ringpops-Dollar Tree)






I wrapped them in red and white poka dot paper (Hobby Lobby) and black and yellow ribbon. I numbered the gifts and wrote each child's initial on the Mickey Head since the gifts were age appropriate and not all the same. 

The timer!


The girls opening their first gift!


My daughter had a hard time unwrapping the ribbon. Mabye I'll put a bow on it for our next trip!


She was happy with her stickers when she finally got that ribbon off!





 My daughter and mom unwrapping the pizza pan and magnets!





This was so much fun! I will be doing this on every trip longer than 5 hours from now on! Some advice would be to bring a plastic bag or trashcan for all the wrapping paper. The car got messy at times. Also, be sure to put the timer in a place where the kids can see it. They will love the one hour gifts and you will never (or rarely) hear "Are we there yet?".



3 comments:

  1. When we traveled with our children for days sometimes, we sang, took turns telling jokes, watched for wild life, made up alphabet games, license plate games, etc. This is exhausting for the non-driving parent (usually mom) but now that the kids are grown I really miss it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. When we traveled with our children for days sometimes, we sang, took turns telling jokes, watched for wild life, made up alphabet games, license plate games, etc. This is exhausting for the non-driving parent (usually mom) but now that the kids are grown I really miss it.

    ReplyDelete